April 25, 2024

Just listen

Last Thursday, in the music humanities class I teach at Columbia University, two students were giving an in-class presentation on the composer John Cage. His most famous piece is "4'33"," which directs us to listen in silence to surrounding noise for exactly that amount of time.

I had to tell the students we could not listen to that piece that afternoon because the surrounding noise would have been not birds or people walking by in the hallway but infuriated chanting from protesters outside the building. Lately that noise has been almost continuous during the day and into the evening, including lusty chanting of "From the river to the sea." Two students in my class are Israeli; three others, to my knowledge, are American Jews. I couldn't see making them sit and listen to this as if it were background music.
I like McWhorter as a linguist, but he has an extraordinary talent for saying remarkably stupid things about any other subject. (Is this a linguist thing? I'm thinking of Pinker.) And his incomprehension of the point of "4'33" is the least stupid part of the column, of course.

Update: Somebody set him to music.